Exercise Can Keep Your Joints Fit in Winters
Exercise can keep your joints fit in winters
The cold in the winter season makes you lazy to move around and one finds it difficult to get off the bed and be active. The workout in winter increases the chances of injury, exercise and yoga asanas can be very helpful in flexing tendons. Here are Exercise Can Keep Your Joints Fit in Winters.
What happens to joints in winter?
- You might have observed any pain in winter gets worsens; this is because the pain receptors become very sensitive. The decrease in atmospheric pressure causes swelling of muscle tissues causing pain and tension between the joints requiring energy to ease the flexibility of the movements. The muscles have to work harder to perform the activity. The colder temperatures decrease blood circulation to the fingers and toes, produces spasms causing pain and stiffness.
- The foggy mornings will not give enough sunlight to compensate for Vitamin D. It is the major Vitamin whose deficiency weakens bones and joints.
Affect of winter in Elderly People:
There will be increased doctor visits during the winter season as there will be joint stiffness. Patients suffering from arthritis complain of pain, swelling, fatigue, etc. that inhibit their motility. Elderly people need much time to recuperate from the pain.
How the elderly can get joint pain relief in winter?
- Make sure you wear warm clothes covering hands, knees, and legs
- Keep yourself hydrated as even mild dehydration can worsen the symptoms of arthritis
- Use of localized heating pads
- Vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acid supplements
- Exercise can keep your joints fit in winters, Short-term membership in a gym under the guidance of a trainer will help alleviate arthritis pain
- A gentle walk is important, jogging in place, or doing jumping jacks
Gyming to keep your joints fit in winters
It will be too cold to exercise outside in the winter season. The indoor cold workouts can help your muscles get going even in cold temperatures. It is better to warm-up more than usual during winter season especially when you are starting a new exercise to reduce muscle swelling and joint stiffness.
- Pullups, pushups, dips, seated rows, bicep curls,
- Sit-ups, crunches, plank
- Lunges, air squats, wall sits
- Burpees, deadlifts
- Foam rolling and yoga
- Swimming in an indoor pool will help in increasing the range of motion
People, who don’t want to spend on the gym or joining yoga classes, can carry out simple activities like climbing the staircase, cleaning of the house or any activity that involves usage of the upper body for 20 mins.
Yoga can keep your joints fit in winters
Yoga is a natural tool that has beneficial effects on the mind, body, and spirit. It helps you to stay fit and healthy. It can help you build immunity and fight the winter cold.
The yoga postures in Vinyasa (flowing form) are very helpful in improving joint mobility and increases blood circulation. The joint stiffness will be reduced as the warmth relaxes the muscles. This produces a soothing effect in joints reducing joint pain. Triangle Pose (Trikonasana) is another important yoga asana that stretches shoulder, chest, knee, ankle, hips, ankle strain and spine muscles.
Some important yoga asanas that can help you in combating cold are
- Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana):
- Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
Yoga and Exercise can keep your joints fit in winters!